Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railroad was a 600 volt DC electric interurban railway[one] in Sonoma County, California, United States. It operated in between the metropolitan areas of Petaluma, Sebastopol, Forestville, and Santa Rosa. Company-owned steamboats supplied services involving Petaluma and San Francisco.
Portions of the initial suitable-of-way have been acquired by Sonoma County authorities for the West County Trail and Joe Rodota Path, managed by the Sonoma County Regional Parks Division.[two] A part of the original correct-of-way can be discovered together the waterfront in Petaluma. Initiatives have been designed by volunteers to re-activate this line to develop into a trolley line when once more.
On June twenty, 1903, the Santa Rosa Road Railway, the Union Street Railway of Santa Rosa, the Petaluma Street Railroad, and the Central Street Railway were being consolidated to kind the Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railway. The four consolidated horse motor vehicle strains created among 1888 and 1891 have been to be replaced by an electrical railroad operated in conjunction with the Steamer Gold which experienced been providing ferry services in between Petaluma and San Francisco since 1883. A initially-spike ceremony was held on April five, 1904, at the Steamer Gold landing at the foot of Copeland Avenue. The electric line was accomplished to Sebastopol in Oct, and extended together Sebastopol road toward the western edge of Santa Rosa.[four]
The building crew required to cross the north–south steam railroad to get to downtown Santa Rosa. The steam railroad experienced operated a parallel department line from Santa Rosa to Sebastopol considering the fact that 1890, and would not consent to the crossing enabling a new competitor to offer immediate services downtown. By November the steam railroad stationed guards at the proposed crossing site to stop cutting of its rails.
If you liked this write-up and you would certainly such as to get more facts relating to https://petalumacf.org/ kindly check out our page.
Trolley assistance started to the west facet of the crossing on December one, 1904. Rails ended up laid on the east side of the steam railroad tracks, and an electric powered wire was strung overhead in planning for installing the crossing. A threatened boycott of the steam railroad by 92 Santa Rosa retailers had no impact.[four]